Tuesday, December 13, 2005

memories

The following entry might probably seem rather offensive to my gay friends who do read my blog but judging from past posts where I would never be afraid to poke fun even at my own stupidity, do take this lightly with a tinge of humour. If not, it’s seriously better to skip this altogether.

                    ----------------------------

As a sort of routine that I engage in these days to catch up on daily affairs during lunch hour, a trip to a corner convenience store would be mandatory almost everyday… to pick up a copy of the daily newspaper…

The slow walk in the brisk afternoon sun would be a redeeming moment in a long day in the confines of the office, in the land where sunlight is the one precious commodity even money can’t buy…

As gossips and football news spilled out of the pages, this was one article which caught my eye and kind of made me laugh.

No, it wasn’t even a joke… just a simple statistical report done by Barclays Bank, as part of their usual tally-ups at this time of the year I would presume…

I am not homophobic nor am I against homosexuals... I was just wildly thinking how I could crazily and imaginatively comprehend this figure closer to reality; in other words, what does 3.6 million mean in my head?

Let’s see…

  1. the whole of the Singapore population being homosexual – your friends, your teachers, your neighbour, your mama-shop uncle, the ah bengs & lians in the void deck, the bus driver, your dog,… and yes, probably that includes even parents (WOAH)


  1. all cows in New Zealand would mate and procreate as nature would deem fit, but are in fact secretly homosexual and believe they are half-hobbits in search of the One Nipple Ring to free them all…


Coming back to reality, these 2 points are very closely related to each other in my head… and i’m talking about the relationship between the population figures of Singapore and that of cows in New Zealand…

it shook my memories of a seemingly simplistic advert I watched on tv in my secondary school days…

it all boils down to this old tv promotion made by Fernleaf a very long time ago that went something like this, "There are 3.5 million cows in New Zealand, just as there are that many people in Singapore"

or maybe I am wrong, it’s 3 million at the time of the commercial…

the subtle message I understood then was often passed off as a joke among my friends then… if you were one of them, maybe you will understand it now since I’m bringing it up again…

I hope you do... because I am most certainly not explaining it… not when it’s already quite so obviously insulting…

               ---------------------------------

Do not fear, I am not in a bad mood… I’m just reminiscing.