Tuesday, August 30, 2005

telly daze

Hee, I HAVE SLEPT IN THE WHOLE of MONDAY!!

Well it’s the summer bank holiday and thus a public holiday!
Hee it’s been a long and good weekend I must say.. there was a
huge huge festival called the Notting Hill Carnival that occurred
over the past 3 days and I went for it!

And boy, I didn’t miss a thing… hee.. it was ‘supposingly’ the biggest thing in all Europe! Haha.. well if u take into account tha amount of beer I stepped into, the elbowing of people that I had to endure for some parts of the parade, and certainly a headache that may have been caused partly due to the amount of 2nd hand weed that my lungs had to endure! Haha..

Well I guess you can sorta compare it with Chingay in a way, but on a much larger scale? Haha.. it’s really a celebration of the emancipation of the black community here in the UK.

Music, as I have been taught and believe, is something that will always be able to touch the hearts of people of all races, religion and beliefs. It is precisely what I think this whole festival, a true celebration of black culture, is primed for… a reaction that arose from the racial riots that occurred in the past of London.

And I perched myself happily upon a high wall just opposite where the so-called judging platform was to get a great view of the parade as it passed..
People were standing by the streets, sitting on the kerb, perched on higher walls like me, bending out of windows, and even sitting on their window sills soaking in the atmosphere of the whole place! Haha it was pretty entertaining actually, if u consider skimpily dressed women in bikinis dancing on balconies and rooftops.. haha quite a feast really! They were so “fit”, as the Brits would put it… hee

Was eating “jerk chicken with rice”, actually I dun understand why it’s labeled a jerk.. haha.. it’s just plain marinated bbq chicken with rice! Man, slang here slang there.. while I was eating, sitting on somebody doorsteps and sympathizing with him about the garbage he has to clear the next day, this black guy comes up and gives me a “smoking sign”,.. you know? Haha the “OK” sign but off your lips..

Abit terrible timing for charades but my initial tot was that he wanted me to spare him a stick, which isn’t really uncommon here.. but roughly 3 seconds later I understood what he meant..

well, 1stly, I’m low on cash, 2ndly, i was having my lunch n not at all glad to be interrupted and 3rdly, I decided I didn’t want any weed for the moment. Haha… well so I tactfully said no and for a moment I tot I saw a tint of disappointment there.. haha.. maybe I have this ‘I need some grass’ look on my face with a plate of bbq chicken and a pint of beer?!? Hahahaha

life can be pretty amusing, isn’t it…