Sunday, January 08, 2006

Personal Space

An old friend of mine, Mela, recently just moved into a place of her own back in Singapore… i know you will read this soon… I can’t say how happy I am for you… all the best in your furnishing! wink

Over the past few years, I have increasingly felt the urge to have a place of my own; a pad where close friends can come on over for a simple meal and wine, where we can share moments of simple pleasures; a place where I can hide back into at the end of the day, away from the world.

This has largely got to do with the fact that I have been in and out of home and other places, army not to be mentioned, Raffles Hall for a year, Korea for half a year, and now London.

This is also a typically difficult decision and news to break to most parents, in our Asian context I would refer to here… moving out usually equates to getting married, and that is not on my mind at least for the moment.

People who have lived with me would almost certainly know some of the ‘queer’ habits that I have…

After prolonged periods of being in ‘physical human contact’ with others, i.e. being on a long 2 week trip to Spain with 2 friends, I will very naturally develop the instinctive urge to retreat; to back away mentally to find that personal space that I innately crave for… a ‘comfort zone’ where I do not need to talk to anybody, a place where no socializing of any sort will ever begin… simply because I do not wish for it to happen… and thus I ‘kinda’ enforce it to be so… by hiding in my own room.

Thus I would now find it difficult if told that I would have to share a room with somebody, just like when I was living in Korea and had to share a room with Kerhow. Do not be mistaken, I enjoyed being in his company… and this particularly so for very dark and unspeakable reasons only known between the two of us that a few others may also be in the know.

No, we are not an item. Kill that thought.

I have been in my room for more than 24hrs now…

And I have never felt more comfortable.